Monday, November 1, 2010

Mancat Monday

I'm still a pretty good mancat. I still explore and check out my yard on a regular basis. But, it's getting colder now and I don't like to go outside when it's cold, so every warmer sunny day I get outside when I can.

I have to tell you though. My Mom went away for a week to visit the Morgan-baby. She actually left me home alone all night for the first night because the house sitter was out of town until the next day! I was so mad at my Mom, first for leaving me for a whole week and then leaving me home alone! But, when she came back, I was so glad to see her. She also took me to the vet person before she left. So, that's three bad things... vet, home alone, gone for a week. But, the vet lady suggested Mom try to feed me something called toonafish if I don't eat (and I don't eat, I hate the food Mom gives me. All except for whipped cream, I still like that.) This toonafish stuff is good! Mom's not sure it's a good idea, but I like it and I eat it.

Rusty's Mom here. He did fine being home alone that first night. I was a bit concerned about it, he hasn't been left alone all night for years, not since he was much younger. But, he was ok.

The vet told me that his kidney value is up a little bit and his liver enzyme, alkaline phosphatase, was also up a little bit, but she said that it's nothing to be real concerned about yet. Rusty just doesn't want to eat much anymore. He leaves the cat food in the bowl and ends up eating maybe only 1/4 or less of a small can a day. I do worry about this not eating, but I'm not sure that feeding him tuna fish every day is also a good idea either. But, what do you do with an older cat? I guess I try to just give him as good a life as I can. He sleeps most of the day now so perhaps he doesn't need to eat much anymore. I fear that his time is getting shorter and I try to prepare myself for that eventual day. Then, when I think the time is drawing nearer, he does something remarkable for such an old cat as if to say, "I'm not dead yet".

Thanks everyone for visiting his blog, even though we don't post much anymore. I find it hard to write about him, when I'm worrying so much about him. You've all been such good friends to him.

17 comments:

The Monkeys said...

We're happy you're doing so well, Rusty! It's getting colder here too, but hopefully there are a few warm days left.

We love tuna fish (not too often) as a treat

Brian's Home Blog said...

We all love Rusty and we always like to visit. Hey, if he likes toona, so be it, he has earned that fishy stuff! ><(((ยบ>

Cat with a Garden said...

Oh, sweet Rusty, it's so good to see you. We were actally thinking of you the other day and wondering how you're doing. We think Brian is right with saying that if you like the tuna you should have it. Enjoy that good stuff!

Sparkle said...

It's possible he can't smell his food really well, and that's one of the reasons he's not eating. You might try heating some of it up a little bit, to help make it more pungent, and/ or try finding the smelliest wet food you can find. I know that when I'm off my food (I am a very picky eater), freshly cooked chicken will almost always get my attention.

Kea said...

I disagree with the tuna. Cats need taurine and tuna doesn't have it, plus any fish can (can, not will) lead to crystal blockages.

Will he eat those new Temptations that have the vitamins and minerals in them? Not the best, but better than not eating anything at all.

Plain baby food (no spices), some type of organic meat baby food?

Lots of purrs and Light to sweet Rusty!

Katnip Lounge said...

Hi Rusty, it's good to hear from you. We worry about you.

Two things...we have a heating pad that our old gal KonaKitty LOVES. It makes her old bones feel better.
And maybe your Mom could mix the tuna and the wet food? That way you'll be getting a little more complete nutrition. Or she could try fishy bonito flakes on your foods, they're very yummy.

Love, from alla us Kats at the Lounge!

The Island Cats said...

Hi ya, Rusty. Good to see you. The sun's been shining the last few days so we hope you've gotten a little outside time. As far as what to eat, eating just tuna might not be the best for you. But if you mix it in with some regular cat food, that might help. Or how 'bout some tuna cat food?? But really, just eating is better than no eating at all!

The Creek Cats said...

Rusty, you're looking good!

Toonafish is delishus! Have you ever tried Whiska's Pefectly Fish? There are different varieties and our kitties love them as treats.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Hi Rusty!

What a handsome mancat you are today! We love the picture.

We do hope that you'll eat just a bit more. The baby food warmed up just a bit may be a good idea.

We will keep you and your Mom in our purrs.

purrin
xoxox
Abby

Kaz's Cats said...

G'day Rusty, we're glad to see that you're getting around and checking out things in a mancatly way. Tuna is yummy, and we hope that you get lots of yummy foods that are good for you...I (Gypsy) eat some i/d along with k/d myself, although Mum thinks I still need to eat more. Be happy Rusty,

{{{Purrs}}}

Gypsy & Tasha

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

One thing about being a senior mancat is that whatever you will eat is just fine. So, tuna every day!

We were very happy to see your post today. Take care good buddy.

Parker said...

Sparkle has a good idea - the stinkier and smellier, the more we tend to like it!
Smoochies to Rusty!
Eat all the toonafish you want!

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

We love to hear how Rusty is doing and will always visit him when he posts.
Mom said she can remember when her beloved siamese Henry (1985 ~ 2004) started to get old and slowed down on his eating ~ she used to worry too. But she said as long as Rusty is happy and content that's all that matters.
Smoochies for Rusty.

meowmeowmans said...

Rusty, you are looking great, buddy! I guess when it comes down to it, you HAVE to eat ... no way around that, huh? If toona's the only thing that you like, you have to go with that. Maybe you could, like other people recommended, try something like baby food? Or maybe toona mixed with your other food?

Percy the Cat said...

That's a very mancatly photo, Rusty!

Our mum gives us toonafish sometimes, but not very often. We especially like really stinky food, and if Pandora is having an off day, mum will sometimes mix the toona and other food so she'll eat more.

cats of wildcat woods said...

Glad to hear Rusty is enjoying hte warm days. Our Chica age 19 often does not want to eat. I give her baby food with extra water - chicken and veggies or just chicken - make sure there is no onion or onion powder in it. She also likes Tikki cat food - they make a tuna that is very good quality but with a few veggies in it.At this point whatever they will eat but I don't like to give her tuna all the time either - it depletes their vitamin E. Sending love to you all.

World of Animals, Inc said...

Rusty, we have started to get some cooler days now. We are happy that you are doing well and enjoying a great Mancat Monday. Thanks for the share. Have a great day.
World of Animals