Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Hunter is Back, Sort Of

Over the weekend, I was walking across my back yard and guess what I saw? A robin and two babies! They were running around the neighbor's driveway, flapping their little wings! I couldn't help myself! I forgot my arther-itis and I just RAN! And I GOT it! I couldn't believe it! I ran to the front of my deck with it and the Guy saw me. Mom yelled for him to get the bird from me. Whaaaaaaaaat? I was hoping for a nice warm lunch! Well the Guy got the bird and took it away from me and Mom grabbed me and put me in the house. They are such spoil sports. This is a picture of maybe the bird I caught, Mom wasn't sure since there were two of them.

I still think an old guy like me can still have it.

This is Rusty's Mom. Before anyone gets upset, I want to let you know that the baby bird is fine. It went on to finish running around in the yard with its mom and sibling and finally ran off to where ever they went after their workout. Rusty didn't have the bird long enough to do any harm, and without many of his teeth now, even carrying it in his mouth did no harm to it. In fact, this photo was taken when it was taking a rest after running around the yard while its sibling was on its way across the street with its mom. Eventually this one joined them. I'm not sure if this is the one Rusty caught or if it was its sibling. He did go out in the yard later and looked all around the deck for it, and I think he was not happy when he couldn't find it. It surprised my husband and I so much when he took off running after the bird and the fact that he caught it too. To see him run, you'd never have guessed that most days, he has a hard time walking. Guess he just forgot himself for a few minutes in the excitement of the chase.

I didn't read everything Mom said, but I still think that she and the Guy are such spoil sports.

21 comments:

Kea said...

You go, Rusty! We think your humans are spoil sports too! That baby robin would have been a nice little lunch...after all, we're supposed to catch and eat wild critters! :-))

Brian's Home Blog said...

Well purrsonally I knew you could do it!

Amy & the house of cats said...

Go Rusty! While we are glad the baby bird is ok, we think it is awesome that you still have it in you to go after them - and catch them! We don't even think we could do that (we haven't ever tried of course because we are strictly indoors).

Sabrina, Sam and Simon said...

Rusty, it is super that you showed your Mom and The Guy that you still have it in you ... hee hee!
Purrs and headbutts,
Sabrina, Sam and Simon

CCL Wendy said...

Good for you, Rusty (although I'm happy the little birdie is no worse for wear)!

Your primal instincts came to the fore -- you're still a lion in the jungle when it comes to hunting prey.

You rule!

Anonymous said...

WTG Rusty!!! That is PAWesome! Sorry the beans took it away from you. But glad it wasn't hurted. Now, when it's a little older and comes back...you can really put the chase on! Kudos to you!

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Wow Rusty, you showed them you are still a mighty hunter! What's up with the Beans? Mum always takes the birds away from us too.

cats of widlcat woods said...

You still got it Rusty! Too bad they took the bird away! Mom would have done the same!

The Creek Cats said...

Way to go, Rusty! Yeah, we know what you mean, our beans are spoil sports too! They wouldn't let us anywhere near the birds nest in the garage. No fun at all!

The Whiskers and Purrs Gang said...

Rusty,
You ain't old...you is wonderfuls! Thanks for bein' our friend! MWAH!

Very truly yours,
The Whiskers and Purrs Gang

Jans Funny Farm said...

Rusty, there are those special moments when we forget where we are in life and remember what we used to be, before it hurt to do these things.

Percy the Cat said...

Well done Rusty! That's very mancatly of you!

The Island Cats said...

Good for you, Rusty!! But we wonder if you're gonna be sore in the morning after all that!!

The Monkeys said...

The point is, you still got it, Rusty! Nice work!

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

WE are glad you had the energy and spunk to catch the bird but no teeth to hurt it! Were you able to walk the next day?

Katnip Lounge said...

Rusty,
You are fine example of Senior Catliness. WTG! Too bad you didn't get to enjoy your catch. Our Mommy takes our stuff away, too. Especially the snakes. we just can't figure it out.

Lisa + current cat said...

Rusty, those humans can indeed be such spoil sports. Last summer Jack carried in a baby vole, and we both wanted to paw at it for a while, but Mom took it back outside. It was dark and she didn't find where it came from, so she was upset, being that it was just a baby. To us it was prey!

Parker said...

Way to go Rusty - I am proud of you!

Cheyenne -Millie said...

You are a furry good kitty to do that! But mom is glad the birdies is ok.

Cat Street Boyz said...

You've still got it Rusty!!! We are still glad the bird got away....NOT!! (Mom wrote that)=^Y^=

meowmeowmans said...

I knew you still had it in you, Rusty! We are glad that the bird wasn't actually harmed, though. :)